Kids Helping Kids is a way to teach students about giving back to the community. It teaches them how they can impact children their age who rely on the medical care provided at Children’s Hospital of Illinois. Over the years, we’ve had many schools support Children’s Hospital in a number of creative ways. Much of what we do would simply not be possible without the support of friends like you.
Why Support Children’s Hospital of Illinois?
- The only full service emergency hospital for children in downstate Illinois caring for the region’s most critically ill patients.
- The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit was ranked #1 in the world in 2008 by the Vermont Oxford Study.
- We have a total of 127 inpatient beds devoted to caring for children's needs, including the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, Pediatric Intermediate Care, two general pediatric floors, and the Newborn Nursery.
- Child life specialists are specially trained to help children and their families better understand their illnesses, hospitalization and outpatient procedures.
- Children’s Hospital of Illinois is the primary pediatric teaching facility for the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria. The affiliation benefits both physicians and patients through 24-hour, in-house physician coverage; the immediate availability of pediatric specialists for consultation; and on-going research in both clinical outcomes and quality.
- A designated Level I site for emergency medical services for pediatrics and the Life Flight program serves pediatric patients throughout the region.
Wacky Rules Week-One week is chosen to celebrate Children’s Hospital of Illinois. Kids pay $1 per day to participate in fun activities such as wearing their favorite hat, chewing gum, extra recess, game day, etc. Donations can also be generated by allowing the kids to put coins into canisters to vote on which activities to have prior to the scheduled week.
Coin/Penny Drive-Classrooms compete for one week to determine who can collect the most coins. Pizza Party could be awarded to classroom who brings in the most money.
Middle School/High School
Silent Auction, Karaoke/Talent/Mock American Idol Contest, Guitar Hero/Rock Band Competition, Car Wash, Jeans/Dress Down Day/Sports Team Day,
Game Night Challenge-Sports teams/school groups choose to raise funds leading up to an event with a half-time competition, such as basketball shoot out, kiss the pit, baby crawl, etc.
Raise money by assisting others-A student can help a neighbor clean-up their yard in exchange for a donation.
Other ideas-Silent Auction, Karaoke/Talent/Mock American Idol Contest, Guitar Hero/Rock Band Competition, Car Wash, Jeans/Dress Down Day/Sports Team Day.
Read-a-thon, Bake Sale/Candy Fundraiser, Coin Drive, or Pass the Hat at Sports Events
Make contest/competition from taught subjects- such as Around The World, Timed Writings, Math quizzes, etc.
We're Here to Help
We are happy to provide assistance through printed materials or media promotion. We welcome the opportunity to visit your school to introduce Children’s Hospital to your students.
Kayla Speck, Foundation Associate